ITIN Applications

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, ITIN for short, is a number issued by the IRS to nonresident aliens that aren’t eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN).


You will need the ITIN if:


  • You are a nonresident alien and required to file a U.S. Tax return
  • You are a U.S. Resident alien (based on the Substantial Presence Test) filing a U.S. tax return
  • You are a dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen or resident alien
  • You are a dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder

ITINs are used by the IRS for processing your tax returns and payments. The number does not qualify you to work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits; it is only for federal tax reporting purposes.


Your ITIN will be deactivated if you fail to use it on a federal income tax return for five consecutive years! If you want to keep your ITIN active, filing a “protective” tax return even though you aren’t otherwise required to file a tax return may be advisable.


There has been rampant fraud surrounding ITINs in the past few years so the IRS has made the process of obtaining one more difficult. Esquire Group assists its clients with ITIN applications on a regular basis, and can help you too.


Esquire Group will make sure that your application is completed properly and filed in accordance with the applicable regulations.


Why Choose Esquire Group? Find out here


Contact Us